Marriott Vacations Worldwide Assistant Finance Manager in Singapore, Singapore
Are you ready to grow your dream career while making others' vacation dreams come true? Marriott Vacations Worldwide is a world premier organization for Vacation Ownership with resorts at destinations around the globe. Join our team and help deliver unforgettable experiences that make vacation dreams come true.
Reporting to the Financial Controller, the Assistant Finance Manager's role is one of a strategic business partner to associates of all levels by providing leadership, supervision and development opportunities to Accountants.
In performing the duties, legal regulations, GAAP as well as operating procedures of Marriott Vacation Club International must be complied with. The focus is on leading and executing the month-end close process and balance sheet management process under a strong internal control environment. Additionally, this role is responsible for the proper accounting of APAC's development related activities, and overseeing Accounts Payable as well as bank operations.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Maintaining Finance and Accounting Goals
Month-end Close and Balance Sheet Management
- Manage the month-end close process and balance sheets for regional and development related entities
- Review standard journal entries prepared by the team
- Prepare or review all entries pertaining to AP2 (Australia) and AP3 (Hong Kong) Clubs to ensure correct accounting.
- Ensure team reconciles intercompany balances every period and confirms that all inter-company billings are well supported before periodic settlement.
- Ensure that the team completes all balance sheet reconciliation on a timely manner and with proper supporting and documentation.
- Assist team on issues identified from balance sheet reconciliations and ensure corrective entries are processed next period.
- Provide appropriate support and back up to AP1 (Singapore) club accounting team as the business requires.
- Constantly seek process improvements around the close process.
Statutory and Compliance
- Manage completion of statutory audits, tax filings and compliance matters for entities under your responsibility within timeline.
- Manage all accounting transactions related to Development and Architecture & Construction (A&C).
- Work with US counterparts on development project costs and reporting.
- Ensure that development accounting for Asia is properly set-up and accounting treatment is in accordance with US GAAP.
- Record entries to correct PeopleSoft project ID, operating unit and account code.
- Key Finance business partner to the Development and A&C business teams.
Effectively manage and oversee Singapore's accounts payables operations * Ensure that all invoices are appropriately check, approved before payment and paid within the specified time. * Responsible for overseeing the GL string allocation of all payments into PeopleSoft. * Manage all accounts payable escalations on a timely and professional manner. * Improve accounts payable processes where possible
- Prepare Cash Flow forecast and identify funding requirements.
- Handle administrative procedures for bank account opening and closure.
- Oversee daily receipt process on sales deposits, installment payments and maintenance fees in accordance with documented process.
- Work with MVW Corporate Accounting Services in investigating unreconciled receipts.
- Ensure that all refunds are properly supported and executed.
- Implement effective tracking step to ensure that all bank activities are in order.
- Provide meaningful guidance to direct reports to assist them properly execute their assigned duties.
- Develop subordinates by, among other things, regularly sharing best practices, technical knowledge and business concepts.
- Provide constructive feedback, with consideration of others' feelings.
- Leveraging the unique strengths of each Associate, bringing out the best in them.
- Set departmental objectives and action plans strategically aligned with corporate plans.
- Maintain awareness of interrelationships between on-going activities within the organization and subsequently plan assignments and allocate resources accordingly.
- Develop and use systems to organize and track information.
Performance Management and Associate Relations
- Work with associates to identify barriers to success and develop action plans to overcome them; introduce new perspectives to associates to stimulate positive performance.
- Sustain a work environment that focuses on fair and equitable treatment of associates.
- Maintain effective associate communication channels; Speak clearly and articulately with individuals and groups; adopt an open-door policy to acknowledge associate problems or concerns in a timely manner.
- Perform analysis on an ad hoc basis as required by the business.
- It is foreseeable that this job could take on more duties as the company grows, in the area of financial analysis or general accounting.
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism at all times.
The education, experience, skills and attributes important for this position are:
- Degree in Accounting with at least 5 years of relevant working experience
- Prior Supervisory experience preferred
- Solid functional background in General Ledger Accounting
- Significant experience with balance sheet reconciliations
- Previous experience with US GAAP
- Able to build and maintain excellent rapport with all levels of associates
- A team player with ability to collaborate with senior management, functional departments and external partners
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Well-organised and capable of managing multiple priorities effectively
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
If you believe you are the one we are seeking, apply here and attach your resume giving full details of qualifications, experience as well as current and expected salary.
We regret that only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Marriott Vacations Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled