Marriott Senior Manager, Employee Relations in Singapore, Singapore
Marriott International is the world s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
In the role of an employee relations specialist with primary focus and responsibility on investigation works. Related employee relations project is also included in the job scope.
Position contributes to the effective and efficient handling of employee relations matters as a HR specialist, investigation resource person and business partner. Broadly, the job activities includes leading or guiding investigation following the protocol, offering advices and resolutions to employee relations issues, collaborating with market HR leaders on projects and tasks, following up on associate complaints, ensuring local labor laws are closely observed in the markets and analyzing trends and gaps to improve the harmony and working relationship in the workplace. The position reports to the Director, Employee Relations and Compliance.
BUSINESS CONTEXT / SCOPE
Position provides employee relations services and support to the market and area HR leadership teams and operations and ensures company s Open Door Policy is managed objectively, fairly and consistently in the continent.
Education and Experience
- 5-7 years Human Resources experience with a University education and/or Diploma in HR discipline
- Interest in scope of investigation work which includes forensic research, interviews and an analytical mind
- Fluent in both written and spoken English. Ability in the Chinese or Malay language is an added advantage
- Confident, self-motivated and highly independent work style
- Working knowledge of company policies and labor laws and privacy legislations of the markets
- Strong and efficient organizational, interviewing and execution skills to bring timely and solid closure to an investigation
- Ability to gain support and build strong and trusted working relationships with work partners and stakeholders
- Ability to stay with an open, objective and fair mind in dealing with people and cases assigned
- Good listening, coaching and writing ability
- Fast learner with ability to adjust to fast and changing work requirements and expectations
- Sound business acumen and hotel operations knowledge
- Willing to travel on the job in at least 40% of the time
- Proficient with the use of basic computer applications and softwares
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Lives the Marriott philosophy and culture of Open Door Policy and Guarantee of Fair Treatment and promotes a harmonious working relationship and workplace.
- Implements and follow through with the employee relations activities that support and align with the company s business priorities and goals in partnership with market HR leaders and area leadership teams, continent legal counsels and auditors.
- Lead, conduct and close investigation cases assigned or in partnership as stipulated in investigation protocol.
- Establishes and maintain an open and collaborative working relationship with the internal stakeholders as well as the external resources.
- Encourages and promote open communications, feedbacks and exchange of ideas between leaders and associates to improve harmonious working relationships.
- Facilitates proactive and productive employee relations activities at the workplace to reduce people and work related conflicts and issues.
- Manages an effective balance between the company, brands and employee interest with the regulatory, privacy and legislative requirements.
Managing Work Execution
- Educate and promotes the company s fundamental approach to Guarantee of Fair Treatment processes in the property as the first step to healthy resolve of employee grievances and complaints.
- Ensures sustainable employee relations processes and protocol are communicated, put in place and followed through completely to resolve issues and support action plans.
- Assist and follow up with market HR Leaders in the proper and consistent execution of the investigation protocol in the investigation work managed at property.
- Monitors and ensure the compliance with company policies, property LSOPs, HR standards, HR audits, and local labor laws and regulations by the HR Leaders and area leadership teams.
- Share and communicates status of employee relations health and red flags following investigation and ideas to improve the situation with the Vice Presidents Human Resources and Director Employee Relations.
- Utilize available tools and resources to evaluate and suggest pro-active employee relations initiatives, tasks and practices to enhance engagement, positive workplace and safety experiences for the employees.
- Ensures the Employee Relations Line, Ethics Points, Business Ethics Line and other forms of company employee relations channels are properly implemented in the properties and accessible to the employees.
- Provides advice and guidance when consulted by HR Leaders and area leadership teams on employee relations matters.
- Open to critique own behavior to acknowledge opportunities to improve and meet job expectations, and future performance and results. Seeks and welcomes feedback.
- Acts independently to enhance learning and improve job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates and drive learning, improving and sharing of knowledge to the HR teams.
- Participates actively in HR forums, staying abreast of employee relations regulatory updates, trends, labor issues and competitions to promote competitive advantage in the field.
- Research and analyses new and emerging employee relations practices, trends and legislations impacting the management of labor and work.
- Progressively be familiar with the local labor requirements and laws to facilitate the investigation works.
- Perform other HR related duties as assigned from time to time to meet the changing markets business goals and expectations.
Adaptability- Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
Communication- Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
Problem Solving and Decision Making- Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
Professional Demeanor- Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
Building and Contributing to Teams- Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
Driving for Results- Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
Planning and Organizing- Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
Coworker Relationships- Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
Customer Relationships- Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company s service standards.
Global Mindset- Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
Organizational Capability- Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Talent Management- Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
Applied Learning- Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
Business Acumen- Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
Technical Acumen- Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
Employee Relations-Prevents and resolves problems which arise out of or affect work situations, including knowledge of relevant laws, company policies and practices, and ethical obligations to investigate, evaluate, and recommend an appropriate resolution to an employee or labor relations complaint.
Basic Competencies- Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
Basic Computer Skills- Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
Mathematical Reasoning- Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
Oral Comprehension- Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
Reading Comprehension- Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Writing- Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Job: Human Resources
Requisition ID: 170013N5