Microsoft Corporation Site Operations Manager in Singapore, Singapore
Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations (MCIO) is the engine that powers Microsoft's cloud services. The team is responsible for designing, building and operating our unified global datacenters; managing the demand planning and capacity utilization of our unified infrastructure; and responsible for all of the operations needed to run the physical infrastructure (including supply chain, hardware, power, security, and workflow teams). We focus on smart growth with an emphasis on automation, data driven engineering, cost-effectiveness and environmental sustainability.
We deliver the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's over 200 online businesses including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure platform. Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our portfolio is built and managed by a team of subject matter experts working 24x7x365 to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
At the forefront of the action in MCIO is our Datacenter Operations Group!
As the Site Operations Manager, you will have responsibility for a single large data center facility, or several small data center environments in a given geographic area as part of the MCIO Hosting Services Delivery Team. The team consists of highly skilled members who ensure the successful delivery of best-in-class hosting services to Microsoft’s product groups; such as Bing, Azure, Hotmail, O365, and Microsoft’s corporate infrastructures. As the Site Operations Manager of the site(s) you will be responsible for leading the on-site team or teams in the implementations of standard operating processes. Additionally, you are accountable for the Critical Environment Engineers, IT Operations Leads and Analysts efficiency against Service Level Agreements (SLA), Key Performance indicators (KPI), customer expectations, and helping guide & improve their skill-sets to drive service delivery. You may also be tasked with performing/managing special DC infrastructure projects, contributing to global process development, and/or assisting with service design. You will represent Data Center Services during technical escalations occurring in your respective site(s). Persons in this role will be responsible for the coordination and communication of activity among site teams, management teams, and customers, during challenging & broad high-pressure scenarios.
As a Site Operations Manager, you will have the opportunity to manage a team or teams supporting Microsoft’s key services, such as Bing, Azure, Hotmail, O365, and other Microsoft corporate infrastructures within a Microsoft Production Enterprise Data Center (DC) or leased Colocation. You may be responsible for managing facilities critical environment operations and will be responsible for providing information technology (IT) services and leadership. This role will primarily support OS, server hardware, and DC infrastructures in enterprise datacenters and leased colocations. You will also provide ancillary support for enterprise class networking and storage infrastructures – all in a 24x7x365 environment.
Managing the On-Site Operations team(s) involves employee performance management and indirect vendor performance management (via vendor contracts and relationships) for your site(s). Also, you may provide applicable management of relationships with leased facilities landlords. The above will be vital to your success. High levels of professionalism, communication, coordination and customer service principles are essential for the Site Operations Manager. Site Operations Managers will lead and support Data Center Programs and projects within their site(s) and globally.
Site Operations Managers will have the opportunity to grow and share technical expertise via mentoring and training of other engineers, leads, and analysts and guiding less experienced team members. You will be expected to frequently draw on your depth of experience and expertise to offer solutions to complicated problems. Persons in this role will also be expected to contribute to global processes, service design and development. Site Operations Managers will also be required to take on additional tasks as assigned by regional and global management.
Site Operations Managers perform a key role between Vendor Operators and Microsoft, collecting information regarding capacity management, forecasting, and planning. You will be dealing with local vendors like (HP, DELL, and others as specific to the region.
You will partner with product and operations groups delivering infrastructure solutions to drive market expansion. Projects can be range from service capacity expansion to complex site or smaller node builds. At times, you will be required to lead and provide inputs on the local code of practice.
In terms of corporate governance, you will work with finance, audit, and risk to ensure financial adherence, compliance and certifications goals are achieved. A requirement to budget and track operating expenditure is a requisite.
A streamlined Supply chain is essential in any data center operation. You will support this activity by working closely with procurement, logistics teams, and tax to ensure smooth clearance and transportation of equipment. And the support of RMA processes for both networking and server components.
Skills & Qualifications
• Must be able to both operate as a member of a larger global team while fostering a culture of teamwork for his/her respective local team(s).
• Requires excellent inter-personal, communication and presentation skills.
• Proven track record of both internal and external vendor management in maintenance based contracts.
• Proven track record in process and procedure development and execution.
• Proven success and experience in recruiting, promoting, training, disciplinary actions, and other basic management functions.
• Demonstrated ability to lead a team to deliver against Company/Group Vision and Strategic Initiatives.
• Lead and provide direction to his/her team specific to delivering services in a dynamic hosting environment.
Certifications and Accreditations
• Strong working knowledge and understanding of IT infrastructure such as servers, SANs, storage, and networking. - Required
• >2 Years vendor management and/or hiring experience to ensure the data center facilities are properly staffed to deliver against established availability and performance SLA’s and KPI’s. - Required
• Understanding and ability to describe concepts in redundancy as they apply to electrical and cooling systems (2N, N+1, N+2) - Preferred
• Basic understanding and ability to describe the differences between a Static (battery) UPS and Rotary or Continuous Power Supply - Preferred
• BS/BA in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Telecommunications or equivalent education - Preferred
• ITIL v3 Foundation and/or MOF Certifications – Preferred
Industry Experience & Skills
• >2Years management experience in a production, mission-critical, revenue-dependent, 24x7 data center environment. -Required
• >2Years experience with N+1 or better data center environments a must. - Required
• Leadership and effective coordination capability to deliver upon Statements of Work - Required
• Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills - Required
• Ability to coordinate and host conference calls and escalation bridges with internal customers and senior management - Required
• Proficiency with MS Office Applications - Required
• Flexibility to work off-shifts as requested or dictated by the flow of business - Required
• Strong understanding of Ticketing or Workflow Management Systems and Tools - Required
• Proven ability to deliver tasks on-time and adherence to deadlines. - Required
• Proven ability to apply clear critical thinking in complex, stressful situations. - Required
• >2Years experience in enterprise grade data center design and layout with specific experience in large Internet operations environments, banking, business continuity providers, or financial institutions a solid plus. - Preferred
• Familiarity with Project Management principles - Preferred
• Strong experience with Health and Safety Risk Assessments and Control Measures – Preferred
• Ability to manage, prioritize and successfully execute multiple concurrent mission-critical infrastructure deployment projects. - Preferred
• Experience in managing compliance controls and security in a data center or leased colocation - Preferred.
Business programs & operations