Google Data Center Operations Engineer in Singapore
Google isn't just a software company. The Hardware Operations team is responsible for monitoring the state-of-the-art physical infrastructure behind Google's powerful search technology. As an Operations Technician, you'll install, configure, test, troubleshoot and maintain hardware (like servers and its components) and server software (like Google's Linux cluster). You'll also take on the configuration of more complex components such as networks, routers, hubs, bridges, switches and networking protocols. You'll participate in or lead small project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans. A typical day involves manual movement and installation of racks, and while it can sometimes be physically demanding, you are excited to work with infrastructure that is at the cutting-edge of computer technology.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Install new servers, switches, routers, and other gear physically as our Linux cluster grows. Help test and troubleshoot new server/network hardware components.
- Communicate effectively with English speaking clients and teams.
- Resolve issues with broken equipment with little to no escalation.
- Configure and troubleshoot Linux OS-related issues. Cover on-call responsibilities.
- Assist in creating and documenting new processes (and in improving existing ones).
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience working with and troubleshooting HW/network related issues using Linux based tools. Technical experience in network and/or Linux system administration, web or software development.
- Able to lift/move 50 lbs equipment on a daily basis.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically.
- Experience in end-to-end ownership of issues and execution of small/medium size projects.
- Demonstrated familiarity with Linux environment and experience as administrator.
- Demonstrated understanding of PC hardware, and comfortable in troubleshooting and repairing servers.
- Comfortable in troubleshooting network issues. Familiar with main protocols and common types of devices and data transmission media.
- Ability to self manage and accomplish tasks with minimal supervision.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.