Hilton Director, Engineering & Openings - South East Asia Pacific in Singapore, Singapore
As the Director, Engineering & Openings - South East Asia Pacific (SEAP), you will support the Senior Director of Engineering and Project Directors, from “Opportunity to Opening” on projects with complete handover and successful opening of hotels in SEAP. The activities include implementation of Hilton International’s regional engineering & safety brand standards for all Brands for successful completion of new build, conversions, relicense as well as on-going projects.
The core intent of this position is to apply collective engineering knowledge, experience and expertise to open hotels that are compliant to brand standards, modern in technology, energy efficient and sustainable.
What will I be doing?
The Director, Engineering & Openings - SEAP will be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- Review drawings and submittals for engineering services with respect to brand standards for all brands and for multiple projects, new build, conversion projects and relicensing. Identify deviations from D&C and manage the resolution process with the stakeholders.
- Identify FLS deviations at early stage of the project and prepare Fire Life Safety (FLS) Waiver applications for issues that do not meet Design & Construct (D&C) standards. Follow-up on rectification work as directed by FLS Committee.
- Implement Testing, Commissioning & Handover procedures including document submittals, licenses, certificates, third party witnessing, pre-opening inspections, approval procedures, team moving-in requirements and project closing procedures.
- Prepare reports from site visits, notes from meetings, review completion schedules and advise Project Directors on realistic completion dates.
- Revisit the operating hotels after opening and obtain feedback on what improvements to be included for future projects. Summarize the findings and make recommendations.
- Maintain current standards and up-to-date copies of D&C standards for all brands in relation to engineering, fire life safety, security, AV etc. in soft or hard format. Participate in the reviews, evaluation and updating of the D&C standards for clarifications, errors/omissions, new technology, energy efficiency, corporate social responsibility and good engineering practices.
- Review opportunities for possible conversion to Hilton brands or relicense of existing properties for engineering and fire life safety standards. Provide comments, reports to the Team. Update O2O and other Project Reports.
- Create network with Consultants in each region/country and build a PCP List for each country after careful evaluation of Consultants’ performance on hotel projects. The PCP should be by brand and region.
- Research and help to identify business opportunities for Hilton and report findings to management accordingly.
- Manage objectives and ensure good communication across functions and clearly manage all design reviews for the department or assigned projects.
- Establish priorities and delegate work to team members, as required, ensuring optimum allocation of resources.
- Work with key stakeholders and departments structuring activities and resources so overall objectives are met.
- Communicate management plans and project activities to department.
- Evaluate and streamline business processes to maximize efficiency and effectiveness
- Manages cross-functional links to other Technical Services (Architecture, Design and Construction) departments.
- Adhere to measurements of engineering performance standards, enforce policies and procedures to improve overall operations and effectiveness.
- Implement and manage departmental processes and procedures to ensure strategies and directives are carried out effectively.
- Oversee the development and administration, proper controls and systems to ensure compliance with the agreed engineering standards.
- Influence department members to achieve department objectives.
- Execute organisational directives and encourage achievement of goals through motivation, communication and leadership.
- Manage third parties, identify vendors and monitor cost and quality of service.
- Leverage effective partnerships with third parties and internal constituents.
- Advise management on progress and advise on key performance issues.
- Assess actual performance to ensure success and take corrective actions.
- Ensure the business plan is followed and achieved providing feedback as necessary.
- Operate within prescribed budget parameters.
- Contribute to multi-skilled projects
- To be aware of business and commercial opportunities for Hilton Inc.
- Conduct industry analysis and produce reports and recommendations to enhance Hilton Inc’s design standards
Based at Singapore office, this role requires extensive travel across the SEAP and working on multiple projects simultaneously.
What are we looking for?
A Director, Engineering & Openings - SEAP serving Hilton Brands is always working on behalf of our Guests and working with other Team Members. To successfully fill this role, you should maintain the attitude, behaviors, skills, and values that follow:
- University degree in Mechanical and/or Electrical Engineering.
- Recognised professional qualification in engineering or similar construction related discipline will be an advantage.
- Significant work experience of 15 years or more in property, engineering design, construction related roles including 5 years management experience and/or 5 years working within a Client organisation.
- Minimum of 5 years hotel development and construction related experience ideally within an international hotel group.
- Expereince working in multi-cultural, language or international settings.
- A good understanding of local building codes and International (NFPA) Fire Life Safety codes.
- Good understanding of engineering, fire safety and construction regulations.
- Effective communication skills both verbally and written.
- Ability to analyse departmental financial data, statistics.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build trust and confidence in order to motivate and influence others.
- Capable of conversing with both technical and non-technical parties.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of ethical behaviour and absolute discretion with sensitive information.
- Proactive to identify, prioritise and implement actions required to achieve functional goals.
- Strong problem solving skills including ability to address any issue in collaboration with others, identify and prevent potential problems and develop problem solving skills in others.
- Ability to work well under pressure and effectively handle multiple and concurrent demands.
- Ability to collaborate with others and act in an objective manner to stay on track to achieve common goals.
- Proficient in design engineering skills and ability to quickly learn new programs and train others.
- Knowledge of project management and ability to demonstrate by example when requried.
- Experience in dealing with developers, Owners and other corporate clients.
- In-depth knowledge of hotel and general leisure engineering systems and design.
- Supervisory experience would be advantageous.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, AutoCAD.
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision “to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality” unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!
Job: Engineering, Maintenance and Facilities
Title: Director, Engineering & Openings - South East Asia Pacific
Requisition ID: APA012XY