Google Technical Program Manager, Data Center Project Controls in Singapore
Google's projects, like our users, span the globe and require managers to keep the big picture in focus while being able to dive into the unique engineering challenges we face daily. As a Technical Program Manager at Google, you lead complex, multi-disciplinary engineering projects using your engineering expertise. You plan requirements with internal customers and usher projects through the entire project lifecycle. This includes managing project schedules, identifying risks and clearly communicating them to project stakeholders. You're equally at home explaining your team's analyses and recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in product development with engineers.
Using your extensive technical and leadership expertise, you manage projects of various size and scope, identifying future opportunities, improving processes and driving the technical directions of your programs.
You will ensure that Google's services can be deployed on time and budget, to locations and configurations optimized for serving Google's users, and arrange for capacity to be ready where and when it is needed. You will collaborate with all organizational levels to define project requirements for new processes and software systems, coordinate with cross-functional teams to drive implementation, and mitigate risks to efficiently prioritize projects - all while understanding and creating the future state and technologies of our infrastructure. You must demonstrate the ability to provide matrix leadership across functional teams and stakeholders, lead complex projects to successful completion, evaluate capacity utilization data and understand complex technical topics affecting Google services and users.
You will be part of Google’s Data Center Engineering and Operations team. You will serve in a key role to develop and implement best practice cost and schedule control processes through collaboration with many stakeholders. Your key function will be to drive the efficient delivery of Google’s Data Center Portfolio by the organization of data, implementation of scalable processes and the use of professional tools. In this role, you will lead, collaborate, negotiate and communicate to identify areas for improvement, development of plans, processes and execute changes. This includes managing project budgets and schedules, identifying risks and clearly communicating them to project stakeholders. You will also be supporting decision making analysis, using objective data to support recommendations that are in line with Google’s objectives. You're equally at home explaining your team's analyses and recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in product development with engineers.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Work with Google’s data centers partner teams and engineering groups to understand resource needs and create plans related to the delivery and management of Google's facility capital assets, including compute infrastructure, networking and data center infrastructure.
- Work with partner teams to understand the impact of project implementation in a live data center environment. Communicate global and site-specific priorities. Manage subject matter experts (SMEs) in the cost management and project planning/scheduling fields to ensure that the objectives of team and Google are met.
- Support Data Center Project Managers with their projects change order review, scope of work review, review and approval of proposals, invoicing, pay applications, risk management, value management and value engineering.
- Implement and maintain standard procedures for cost and schedule informational requirements from data submitted by contractors and suppliers. Develop methodologies for classification and interpretation and benchmarking of the data gathered.
- Perform a variety of cost engineering functions encompassing estimating, cost control, budget preparations, forecasting and cost reporting with limited supervision, and assist in the preparation of bid documents and the management of the bidding process. Evaluate, analyze and compare bids from contractors with in-house estimates and schedules, along with presentation of summaries to upper management.
- BA/BS degree in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, industrial Engineering or other technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience managing multinational technical programs/projects.
- 5 years of experience in the construction of high-tech facilities and applying lean manufacturing practices.
- Experience with cost management, cost planning and of planning and scheduling platforms (e.g., Primavera P6).
- MSc or MBA degree with a technical emphasis.
- Knowledge of Mechanical and Electrical systems as well as networks.
- Experience with capital and capacity planning, launching Internet software/services, planning data center infrastructure, and/or managing large-scale, distributed systems.
- Ability to collaborate and influence across multiple levels of an organization with experience leading cross-functional process improvements and holding project leads accountable to the greater project goals.
- Excellent analytical skills, with high attention to detail and tenacious problem solver with strong verbal/written communication and facilitation skills.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.